Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Memories of a Toyaholic

Well, after much struggling, the inevitable had to happen:


"Not pictured: My wallet crying"

Since I finished MOTU 200X (that would be a week and a half ago...) I had a hole in my collector life that needed to be filled. Enter MOTU Classics. A toy line I said several times in the past I was not going to get sucked in... OK, guess what? I'm in (also, I'm a sucker).

Since I acknowledge the fact that I am an addict, I can show you the stages of this non terminal but wallet draining disease.

Stage 1:
Denial. "Nah, I won't buy this line, the sculpts are great, but the concept is... Wow, that Mer-man looks amazing, I could just buy him, but no, no... What's the point? I'm definitely out. Forget it Mattel! I'm too strong for you!"

Stage 2:
The Hunger. "Well, Man-at-arms looks incredible, and Webstor too. Man, Tri-Klops has sculpted eyes under the visor! I would like to see that... And they are releasing Moss Man, MOSS MAN! What? Partial flocking? Well, I guess it's OK... It's a great Moss Man."

Stage 3:
Temptation. "Stop waving that Mer-man in front of me, it doesn't matter if he was my favorite bad guy as a kid, I'm not interested! How much? Oh, I just have that amount on me right now... No, no... Plastic bag is fine."

Stage 4:
Realizing what you did. "What the fuck did I just do?"

Stage 5:
Compromise. "OK, so I'll only buy figures of characters that I really really really liked, Mer-man, Stratos, Tri-Klops, perhaps Webstor, and Moss man until Trap Jaw. Yeah, just those..."

Stage 6:
Expanding your compromise. "OK, OK... I know, I'll just buy the figures I have in the 80s version AND in the 200X version. That way I can, like, totally show the evolution of action figures. That's cool, like my own chronological museum. That's more geeky than cool, actually. Buy anyway, yeah, just those."

Stage 7:
Accepting your illness. "You know what? Screw this, I'll get them all. Who do you have? Stratos and Man-at-arms? Great, let's go."


"Yes, that's the cover of the first album of my progressive rock band: Mer-man and the winged arms. We sold almost two copies"

1 comment:

fishmilkshake said...

Freak Studio versus the Nerd Eating Rats! That I gotta see!